Sunday, November 27, 2011

a trick for styling a bookcase...

When I opened my boxes of Christmas decor this weekend I wasn't feeling the love.
I hauled it upstairs and put out a few treasures, only to decide I was in the mood for...
a little less Christmas decor.

I started re-styling my built-in bookcases in the family room.

Do you ever remove or adjust your shelves?
It couldn't be simpler, and you have a new canvas and fresh perspective for ideas....

Here is the beginning of my 'less is more' theme for this year.

simpledetailsblog.blogspot.com

Recognize my branches? The mirror was an old thrift store find for $8!
 
This space is large (56" high) and could have easily taken on a cluttered
Santa, angels, reindeer, snowflakes holiday accessory look if I had filled four shelves.
With a mantel and several other shelves to style,  I liked the simplicity here.
A few large pieces make more of a statment than several small ones,
 you'll notice in the following bookcases.
                                                      
                                                           Here's some inspiration:

                            Pinned Image
                                                                nester.tumblr.com 

                         Love the addition of artwork, it's on the re-style list for after the holidays.

                    Pinned Image
                                                                   decor8blog.com

                     Removed shelves and interesting, unique adjustment on the right for books.

                                   Pinned Image
                                                                 decorica.blogspot.com

                                                     Shelves removed, symmetrically.

                                      Pinned Image
                                                                    marthastewart.com

                                                  Notice the subtle symmetry here, clever.

           Pinned Image
centsationalgirl.com

Tomorrow I'll show you how I created symmetry
 in the rest of the bookcase and
more of my 'less is more' holiday decor.



10 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Very pretty! Can't wait to see the whole thing. Martina

Holly Gruszka said...

I got a few things out as well. My little one is loving everything that is out already and that's only a few things. I don't have a ton of space to display anything so less is more is definitely the approach around here as well. Hope you had a great weekend!

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Can't wait to see more of your "less is more" decor! Did you spray paint the branches or do they just look lighter with the different lighting?

Dana Frieling said...

Looking pretty! Every year when I pull out my Christmas goodies, I decide I don't like any of them! Less is definitely more when you don't like what you've got. Ha!

Kirsten Krason said...

I love those branches. Everything looks great!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

This is such a good tip. I think book cases are tricky and leaving shelves out definitely helps achieve a less cluttered look. The branches and mirror are gorgeous, can't wait to see more!

A Vintage Vine said...

I am all over the "less is more" theme....I am hoping to avoid the Christmas stash in the attic for at least another week! Can't wait to see the bookcases and what you have done! I know it is going to be good!

Lori said...

So pretty. I love the branches. I think someone should start a Craigslist dedicated to swapping holiday decor. I'm not loving mine either and plan to follow less is more.

viv said...

Lovely images!
I found you via xoxo teacherista and am now following :)
fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

hey its nice.

Post a Comment

When you leave a comment whether simple or detailed, it brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover